Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Cubs All-Decade Team

I was going to do my own all-decade team but elliott's is so well done, i feel no reason to repeat most of what he has said. However, i would differ on a few selections.

Second Base
I would have to put EY above Derosa. Now both players have very different games. DeRosa had a great season in 2008 but the intangibles that EY brought to the game make him my nod. The guy hit almost .300, scored 98 runs and had an OBP of .367. Plus i feel as though his range in the field gives him an upper hand on DeRosa.

Shortstop
It hurts to say this because Theriot is my favorite current cubs player and because one of the worst moments of my life was when this guy booted the ball, i would go with Alex Gonzalez at shortstop. While Alex Gonzalez may not have had the average at the plate, he more than made up for it in the field. His arm, his range, and sure handedness (yes, this is extremely ironic) plus decent production at the dish in 2003 make him the selection. Perhaps the most ironic event of the decade is him booting the ball in 2003 after being the best statistically defensive shortstop in all of baseball that year.
*I feel as though Nomar should at least get a shout out here. In 2004 and 43 games with the cubs, Nomar hit .297, scored 28 runs, had 49 hits, more BBs than Ks, a OBP of .364 and 20 rbis. Pretty impressive. A shame he couldnt do it for a full season.

I dont really differ anywhere else with Elliott's picks besides maybe 2005 Dempster as closer. But i would like to everyone to take a close look at Sosa's 2001 stats. They are staggering. Literally i was in shock when i read them again. Those are numbers that im not sure will ever be replicated in a Cubs jersey and one of the best offensive seasons ever.

3 comments:

MD said...

Sosa in 2001 was a video game player. It would be difficult to put up those numbers even in a video game actually. I remember his '01 season being absurd statistically, I had about .320/58/150 in my head. And I lowballed him. 425 total bases in 160 games...honest, that was the number. Most in either league since Stan the Man in 1948 (429). Steroid testing will prevent another across the board season like that from ever happening again.

Elliott said...

Totally agree. I don't care if he shot up plutonium in his ass, that's hard to do no matter what. Nice Stan Musial reference sir, very nice.

Pete said...

also amazing was that he played 160 games. you rarely see some play that many games.