Friday, December 3, 2010

The Cubs have lost a Giant

I think that pretty much says it all. Ron Santo died last night at the age of 70. He will be sorely missed and Cubs broadcasts will probably never be the same. I grew to listening to Ronnie on the Radio and while it could be brutal at times, there was no question to his passion for the Cubs. He will always be remembered as a Cubs fan and player and probably the best 3B ever to play for the cubs. Goodbye #10


On many occasions, when Santo was upset with the way things were going for the team, a simple grunt or moan sufficed.

"I'm a fan," he explained last summer. "I can't plan what I do. I get embarrassed sometimes when I hear what I said, like, 'Oh, no, what's going on?' But it's an emotion.

"This is being a Cub fan."

Wood once made a case for Santo's election to the Hall of Game in an article in ESPN the Magazine, writing: "When it happens, and if the schedule lets us, I'm going to be there for the ceremony. He's the epitome of Chicago baseball. He's still part of the team. He lives and dies with it. In fact, I think we've put him in the hospital a few times. He should get in just for that."


http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-ron-santo-chicago-cubs-obit,0,1699814.story

No comments: